Thursday, February 7, 2008

13 Days of Separation


Both in order to avoid confusion and to avoid repeating myself, I should make clear that my posts follow the Julian (Old) Calendar. Therefore when I begin a post with the words "Today the Orthodox Church celebrates the memory of...", know that this is according to the Old Calendar, which is currently thirteen days behind the Gregorian (New) Calendar. Today, for instance, is January 25 on the Old Calendar and February 7 on the New Calendar (which is also the civil calendar). I follow the Old Calendar because this is the calendar used by the Russian Church, of which I am a member. I have no desire to get into debates over this, or to judge those who use the New Calendar. (If you do want to know more about this question, you can go here.) When discussing such things, one should always bear in mind the words of St Irenaeus of Lyons, written during the controversy concerning the Paschalion: "The difference in practice confirms the unity of faith."

No comments: